Tuesday 8 May 2012

Vanilla Cupcakes

Oft times, I wonder, why blog?

Is it for me to stay connected with my friends? So that my friends know what I am up to? Is it to feature my culinary repertoire? There isn't much to showcase, really. There is nothing here that you can't find elsewhere with more interesting, colourful, better taken photos. Most blogs are so sophisticated, they even have step by step photos. Others, videos.

The more I blog, the more I'm humbled. By these mother-chef out there. They boast of a family with at least 2 kids, yet, all manage to cook out such fantastic dishes and bakes. I'm very sure in the midst of this, their kids are not neglected. Not a chore is left undone. Never was a meal not home-cooked, nor a treat not carefully planned.

Considerable effort and time goes into planning an interesting post. Not an easy feat. I'm bowed over. Kudos to these mothers!

I'm here because I want to own a space in time. I have come to believe it is for my benefit. With 'degenerating' memory, it is becoming important that I put on record some of these little moments, as though I'm desperately trying to leave behind some footprints.

Today, I baked some Vanilla Cupcakes for my mother-in-law. Not quite exactly a birthday cake. Would be great if I can do some frosting on them but I'm doubtful if the frosting will last coz we will be out for a long time. That's why the cupcakes are bare and naked. But I do hope she will enjoy these little treats that her first grandson helped to put together.

Well, at least, I know the last time I made these, Man swear I bought them. If the son enjoyed it, I hope his mother would too! *wink*

Here's what you'd need:

* 85gm self-raising flour
* 70gm plain flour
* 115gm unsalted butter, softened
* 150gm sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1/2cup milk
* 1/2tsp vanilla essence

This is what I did:

1. Cream together butter and sugar till fluffy. Add in egg one at a time. Mix till well incorporated.

2. Sift flours together.

3. Add flours into butter mixture (1), alternating with milk/vanilla, in 3 successions

4. Spoon batter into cupcakes liners (I lined them in muffin pan). About 2/3 full (coz they will rise during baking)

5. Bake in preheated oven at 160degC for about 30-35 mins till top is golden brown. Check doneness.

6. Remove cupcakes from pan and leave to cool. Top with your favourite frosting (optional).

Makes 10 cupcakes.

Recipe adapted from Ju.

No comments: